LOCAL 234 ANNOUNCEMENTS & INFO FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
International Union of Operating Engineers Local 234
RICHARD JOHN GRIGLIONE II MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND
The Richard Griglione II Memorial Scholarship Fund anticipates offering non-renewable scholarships this year to the dependent children of current and retired members of local unions. Winners are selected on the basis of academic ability, appreciation of labor, and social awareness.
Eligibility and rules:
- The applicant must be the Dependent child of a current or retired member of a local union who is currently in good standing and has been in good standing for at least 2 consecutive years (without an honorary withdrawal) preceding the June 1st application deadline. A Dependent child is defined as an individual under the age of 26 who is the local union member’s son/daughter, stepson/stepdaughter, foster child, child legally adopted or lawfully placed for legal adoption prior to the child’s 18th birthday, or a child for whom the member has legal responsibility by virtue of a court order for custody and support or maintenance.
- The applicant must be accepted into an accredited college or university, community college, or recognized technical or trade school at the time the award is issued. Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible. The scholarship may only be used for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance, course fees, books, supplies, and required course equipment.
- After the winner(s) have been chosen, the scholarship will be paid directly to the educational institution of their choice. If the recipient’s educational institution refuses to accept direct payment of the scholarship, the scholarship will be paid directly to the recipient.
- Scholarships shall not be awarded to any individual who contributes to the scholarship fund, a director, an agent or employee of the scholarship fund, or any relative of any of these individuals.
Applications shall include the following completed items:
- The enclosed data sheet.
- A 300-700 word typed essay on the following topic: “Why is it critical for union families to vote in elections?”
- A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate.
- A complete resume that outlines the applicant’s education and work history; extracurricular activities; military service; special honors or awards; and involvement in the union, civic, community, or religious affairs.
- Copies of the applicant’s transcripts. Applicants who have completed at least one semester of graduate school need only submit graduate school transcripts and any applicants who have at least one semester of college or other post-secondary education need only submit transcripts for that college or other post-secondary education. All other applicants must submit complete high school transcripts.
All applications and required supplemental materials for the Richard John Griglione II Memorial Scholarship Fund must be postmarked or otherwise positively received by the Union Hall no later than June 1 of the scholarship year (for example, if you are applying for a scholarship for a school year that starts on August 1, 2018 your application and supplemental materials must be postmarked or otherwise positively received by the Union Hall by May 1, 2018).
Scholarship recipients will be notified of their selection by mid-July.
Please contact Local 234 for an application, a copy of the filing instructions, and with any questions you may have regarding the scholarship.
The new 2018-2019 Membership cards are all stamped and have all been mailed. If you have not received yours, please let our office know so we can order a replacement for you.
REFERRAL REGISTER (OUT-OF-WORK LIST) RULES BEGAN NOVEMBER 1, 2013.
THEY WERE MAILED TO ALL MEMBERS OF LOCAL 234 IN THE MIDDLE OF OCTOBER, 2013. PLEASE REFER TO THE QUALIFICATION REGISTRATION SECTION OF THIS WEBSITE FOR THE COMPLETE RULES AND PROCEDURES.
Don’t forget to take care of yourself! Health Dynamics Physicals are a great way to make sure you are doing just that!! Please refer to the Health & Welfare portion of this website for detailed information.